“Aruba, Jamaica, ooo, I wanna take ya.”
If you find yourself humming this Beach Boys tune or picturing yourself some place more colorful than cold, gray, wintery Indiana, maybe it’s time for a vacation! You can turn your dreams into reality by saving. Depending on your budget, you might need to start now and travel next year. Either way, starting your vacation fund is all part of the fun. All you need to do is make some small changes and you’ll be on a plane before you know it!
- Vacation saving account. Having a separate fund from your checking and other savings account helps you visualize your savings. You will be less likely to spend it if it’s in its own place. You can get your weekly saving deposited automatically so you don’t forget.
- Budget it. Rework your monthly needs and wants.
- Save the Difference. Saving on everyday necessities might seem small, but it adds up. A good motto is to “save the difference.” For example, if at the bottom of your receipt you see that you’ve saved $20.00, put that amount into your vacation fund! You can use coupons and buy used.
- Plan: Do your homework or find a travel agent that can help you stay within your budget. Off-season timing is usually cheaper and you also get the benefit of smaller crowds.
- Credit Card Offers. Why not take advantage of free money? Sign up for a credit card with points that can be turned into airline miles, or hotel discounts. Make sure to pay off your balance every month to avoid interest.
- Nickels & Dimes. What can you cut? Pop? Eating out? Cable TV? Make small cuts and save big! You transfer this extra money into the vacation account. You can also set out a “piggy bank” and family members can toss any extra coins or dollar bills.
Your dream vacation is just a few changes away. Here at Porter State Bank, we’d love to help you make your vacation dreams a reality. Call us, or visit us today to set up a vacation savings account. 219-926-2136.